Monday, August 13, 2007

Linux eye for the VMS guy

Recently I traded my comfy life with Fedora and Solaris for Windows and VMS. Yes, I'm crazy, but I wanted to see how the other half live, plus it's what they use at my new job.

What I propose to do is make my VMS life as cruisy as possible. Therefore I'm trying to map as many *nix commands as i can to DCL. If you don't know what a LOGIN.COM file is, it's analogous to your .bashrc if you use the BASH shell. It also funnily enough gets executed when you login. My first triumph was getting VIM installed, thanks to this guy for building the binary, absolute champion.

Here is my login.com, no doubt it will grow and i'll try and update it as i add stuff.



 1 $!      LOGIN.COM
 2 $!
 3 $!
 4 $ set noon
 5 $ IF F$MODE().NES. "INTERACTIVE" THEN GOTO BATCH_LOGIN
 6 $ vt200
 7 $ set term/inq
 8 $ set term/color
 9 $ set control = "Y"
10 $ set prompt="Dan$ "
11 $! VIM
12 $ define /nolog VIM dev_users:[dan.VIM]VIM.EXE
13 $ define /nolog VIMRUNTIME dev_users:[dan.VIM.VIM71]
14 $ define /nolog TMP SYS$SCRATCH
15 $ vim :== $dev_users:[dan.VIM]VIM.EXE
16 $! Other UNIX stuff
17 $ who == show users
18 $ date == show time
19 $ ls == "dir/size/prot/date=create/width=(filename=28,size=5)"
20 $ pwd == "show default"
21 $ clear =="type/page nl:"
22 $ more == "type/page"
23 $ cat == "type/nopage"
24 $ cd == "set default"
25 $ top == "monitor process/topcpu/interval=10"
26 $!
27 $ set protection = (s:rwed,o:rwed,g:e,w)/default
28 $ EXIT

No comments: